Wednesday, June 13, 2007

DEET Flavored Pyjamas

So this is the third night in a week that I have been woken in the wee hours of the morning by an insidious whining. No, not by my wonderful offspring, as he does not whine, he bellows! No, this whine was of the insectal variety.

Somehow an insect violated the secure and sterile (aaah ha ha ha ha hah hah heh heh ahem...) environment that is our modular home! And not only that, but it got (gasp!) into the baby's room! And I was hearing this deafening whine through the the wonder of modern technology known as the baby monitor. (Yes, we live in an insanely quiet environment.)

So here I am, knowing that my son is being plagued by one of God(dess)'s most annoying critters and there's not really a durn thing I can do about it. Two nights now I have grabbed the headlight and quietly crept into Tank's room to see if there was anything I could do. Um, the answer seemed to be no. The second I enter, the evil beast ceases and desists with the noise making. So I wait for a bit. Nothing. Head scratch. Wait. Yawn. Wait. Tiptoe out.

Back to bed and of course, instantly loud and clear "Zweeeeeee eeeeee eeeeeeeee EEEEEEEEEEEEE eeeeeeeee".

I won't even mention the possibility of West Nile! Any ideas?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like.....bats.

I think T&A set up a few bat nests in their yard to mitigate the insect problems. Perhaps you can get Jackson a bat. :)

Otherwise, I dont think the lifespan of said critter is that high, can you wait it out? then there is crib netting, from what i understand.

:)

In othe rnews, and i keep forgetting, but my new favourite SGR girl is the Mad Crocheter...what was her name again?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Robert on the crib tent... we have a net crib tent for Asher (for other reasons though... like when he starts to want to clinb OUT, which with this guy I'm afraid may be sooner than we would wish). besides, a nice netting drape would look so POSH.

Looking forward to seeing you all in a few weeks... and it sounds like maybe we should bring the crib tent for Ash's porta-crib?

On other insect-news I was reading scary things about tick issues in the latest mom-mag... specifically Lyme. They said it's on the rise, though maybe that's just due to better diagnosis than in previous years. Being in tick country, I'm sure you're already aware. Just an FYI, as if we don't worry enough.