Wednesday, February 16, 2005

I Felt Just Like Arwen...

So we are now in Queenstown, which is the "Adventure Capital of the World", or so the keep telling us. It is very bizarre, you can do anything here, bungy jump, sky dive, boogie board down a river, take jet boats up a river, bungy jump OFF of a paraglider or some such nonsense. It is like they have to invent all of these new "sports" 'cause the old ones weren't good enough? These new ones don't really require any effort though, just a whole lot of cash! So to try and save a bit of money Lee and I have taken the old fashioned road. Today we rented mountain bikes and actually pedaled them ourselves, up AND down the hills. It was really lovely, the trail was along side the huge lake here and there actually were a few technical bits. We made it back just before the rain downpour as well, so we are counting ourselves pretty lucky! And the little nugget I've been saving for last is our activity yesterday evening. We got into town pretty late, 3 pm or so and I was afraid we'd just crash out really early and not see anything, so I wheedled Lee into taking a horeback ride. He was a bit dubious, due to a painful previous excursion, but bucked up because I pretty much begged him. So off we went with Wendy the really hot horse wrangler. This definitely helped Lee's outlook. They took us on a lovely little ride with only two other people down to the Shotover River. At one point I looked back at Lee and said "Hey this looks like the place where Arwen called upon the spirts of the water and drowned the Nazgul with a horse shaped tidal wave." And lo and behold that is exactly where we were! ON HORSEBACK NONTHELESS! How cool is that! Then this hideous jet boat came up and spun a bunch of doughnuts, sprayed us and scared the horses. Bleah. But then we forgot all about that because they let us trot and then get up to a canter on the way back. It wasn't a full gallop, but it sure felt like we could outrun any run of the mill Nazgul!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Suzie, what an amazing trip! I have just finished reading your whole blog entries, how can you leave me? Molly had her first adventure outside, she kept going further everytime I followed her. She finally let me catch her at 2am. And I had to get up at 5! We both miss you, but are a bit jealous too. love,Lisa