Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Can I NOT Share?

My husband is a Mac guy. He is the reason that I am addicted to the internets and all its features, good and bad. He has already gotten our offspring to join in the fray with an old neon green clamshell mac laptop. Tank Boy's computer plays a version of something called Alpha Baby where we can upload pictures and they are randomly displayed, with their names spoken aloud, at the touch of any key. (Everything from "shark" to "cousin Millie"!) So here he is, in all his splendor, created in our image: pajamas, crazy bedhead, crusty nose and all...




And because he has to have some of momma's traits, here he is displaying his almost insatiable thirst for the fruity berry smoothie...


And on the subject of displaying your family's embarrassing moments online I have to bring up another blog. I have been a long-time reader of Dooce . She was recently interviewed on the Today show, and of course they tried to stir up some controversy about public airing of home life. I love how she addresses this (and well pretty much everything) on her blog...
Will you resent me for this website? Absolutely. And I have spent hours and days and months of my life considering this, weighing your resentment against the good that can come from being open and honest about what it's like to be your mother, the good for you, the good for me, and the good for other women who read what I write here and walk away feeling less alone. And I have every reason to believe that one day you will look at the thousands of pages I have written about my love for you, the thousands of pages other women have written about their own children, and you're going to be so proud that we were brave enough to do this. We are an army of educated mothers who have finally stood up and said pay attention, this is important work, this is hard, frustrating work and we're not going to sit around on our hands waiting for permission to do so. We have declared that our voices matter.


We are bloggers, hear us roar! Tee hee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OOh! I have to get a computer for iMillie now!

Hee hee!

Also, I think its amazing that we write blogs, and I bet our kids will exhibit the same heady mixture of pleasure and intense embrassment that all kids feel towards their parents at some point.

Anonymous said...

It is my humble belief that your children Tankster and Millie, will be amazed and profoundly proud of your thoughts and the time you take to put them into coherent language. As I am. Your work is extremely tuff and although rewarding, not appreciated as much as it should be. This I know from sitting the lovely Millie weekly, and thinking back on all the work that Suzie's Mom did for her and Talley as I gallivanted about the Air Force world! Please keep it up, not so much for me and mine, but for your childrens' future pleasure...Love, Dad