Friday, March 25, 2005

Move over Bridget Jones, Here I Come!

So we've moved into the new-temporary apartment, and what says "I'm home" more than a roast chicken? So we crisped up a nice little hen in the new-temporary oven. (Sorry Laura and Erik, try not to think about Christine the late pet lap-chicken.) And the next day I did what one is supposed to to with roast chicken leftovers: I picked the carcass down to a bony nub, boiled it up with some herbs and veggies and let it simmer for an hour or so, creating a nice, hot, rich chicken broth to stave off the monsoon weather we've been having. I fried up some onions in butter for extra flavor, cut up some carrots, potatoes, and garlic and on a whim threw in some rice that my friend Lisa had given me.

This is where I went wrong. This was no ordinary rice. This was Trader Joe's Black Japonica Rice. I thought it would lay there in the bottom like regular rice adding some chewy goodness, but black, you know like those long grain wild rice thingies. Just as I tossed it into the pot I hazily remembered Lisa saying something about " vibrant purple" and "water." Eeeeek. No Wait! Ack.

Purple Soup. Instantly. My lovely deep yellow broth, hearty earth tones of chicken and carrots. All Gone. All Purple. It's the new fad, ya know, disguise your chicken meat as beef! Who needs those fancy red potatoes when you can have purple potatoes? So come on over and enjoy your very own aforementioned TWIN BED and assloads of frozen purple soup! Hospitality galore!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

assloads AAAAAAAND our own room...we are logging onto expedia right now! lol
your blog makes me laugh, cous...

i liked the bridget jones reference...