Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Wild Wild West

I briefly mentioned the fun stuff we did in Wyoming, but have some further juicy details and priceless pictures that I MUST share with you. First in line is this awesome print found in our temporary fancy condo. It was labeled "Cinnamon Bear" but I think it should have been labeled "Cinnamon Bear Sniffing Other Cinnamon Bear's Butt." Awesome!



After The Hub's conference, our first big outing (as I was recovering from The Gulfport Contagion) was an excursion to Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park. It was a gorgeous early fall day, sunny, breezy, and, well, all together lovely. At the lake we found that it was the last day of the season to rent canoes, and thus it was impossible to resist the siren call of the cute little vessels. Being all together feek and weeble, however, I was of no use with the paddle. I therefore propped the packs in the bottom of the boat and proceeded to nap. The Knight In Shining Armor that is my husband proceeded to paddle us completely across the lake for the next hour and a half, waking me up part way to see the bald eagle resting in a snag. On the opposite shore we then went for a micro-hike of about 200 yards, and then back to the canoe/napping. Husband. Strong.


Post Canoe Docking at Jenny Lake.

The next day we took the tram up to the top of Jackson Hole ski resort, and I actually managed a whole 4.2 mile hike. I did, however, not take any pictures so... moving on. The third day we took that trip to Yellowstone that I mentioned, and followed the aforementioned self guided walking tour of the geysers near Old Faithful. (You too can virtually take the tour here.) And again, I have to say, that geysers are COOL! Here's The Hub with Old Faithful cranking up on viewer's left, and some other neeto geyser spurting on viewer's right. COOL!



On the way out of the park we saw this cute little (600? 800 lbs?) guy munching grass on the side of the road, and yes, the picture isn't that great, but its my first ever Bison encounter, so I'm stoked with it. P.S. I was inside the car, ready to flee at high speed if'n he got a bee in his britches.



The next day was a bit chilly and drizzly, so we saw a movie and did some shopping in the hyper-western hamlet of Jackson. As a matter of fact, Jackson is so durned "western" that a few things seem to have gone slightly awry. Such as this red eyed, slightly demonic, antler arch. Yikes!



And in classic fashion, best for last, the creepiest thing of all was this Oh So Western Toilet Seat. Wow. Now that's some craftsmanship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well done, world travellers!

I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.
I will not be jealous.

Hee hee!